Monday, March 31, 2008

Cape Epic day 3 -Team BBB breaks down

Day 3 at the epic was both good and bad. It was a good day with a comfortable route with lots of flowing jeep track, technical sections and karoo scenery. The last 30 odd kms into Riversdsle was on a tar pass - a piece of cake compared to the nightmare climb of day 2.

On the bad side I seem to have devloped a cold, surprise - so we had to take it a bit easier today. We also had our first real technical problem with my front derailleur breaking just before the first water point. I could shift up but not down, so I had to use my foot to shift down. We tried a quick fix but that didn't work. So I had to stick it out to the shimano tech zone at wp 2. Bonus was that the break was a warranty claim, the Shimano guys were excellent and fixed it quickly so that we could continue.

I thought I had issues until we saw this guy at the end with a broken bike and completely missing seat post. His bike broke with about 80 km to go so they made a plan and managed to make it to the finish before cut off. Check the pics below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I pray my Epic will never look like that. Get that cold sorted out, onion's and honey!! Sounds like the sickest combination but its my trusted go-to medicine