Monday, July 20, 2009

Lezyne Alloy Drive M and Pen Guage – Review





Over the years I have gone from pumps to bombs and back, probably 1000 times. Each time I see a new pump that looks cool, I buy it and turf the bomb idea, but I always come back again. On our recent trip to Mankele, I was reminded of the value of a good pump. I got a small cut in my tyre and lost a bit of pressure before it sealed up. I had no other choice but to use a bomb. 25 bucks, just to top up the pressure! It was time for a pump.
I have had my eye on the Lezyne pumps for a while, they just simply look cool! And when the colours were launched here I decided that I could wait no longer!
After getting the pump, I actually spend some minutes just looking at it! It is a beautifully constructed piece of equipment! The entire pump is CNC machined. Holding it in your hands you get the feeling that you will have this pump for the rest of your life. It is super solid! The system it uses, takes me back to my school days, when we had racing bikes with the two brackets under the top tube that would hold your long white sks pump. Inside the pump was a little hose that you had to screw onto the pump and onto the valve to inflate your tyre.
The Lezyne Alloy drive works exactly the same. I hit a rock and burped my tyre on my weekend riding and it was my first opportunity to use my new pump on the trail. It takes a few moments to attach the valve hose, but I am sure that once you have this a few times, it will become quick and easy. I bought the pen gauge as an extra to the pump. This features a nifty, integrated pressure gauge. When I screwed the valve onto my presta valve, I realised the advantages of checking your equipment before you attach it to your bike and ride off because the pressure gauge had unscrewed itself and pumping had no effect. 2 seconds later I had tightened everything up, and the pump worked, well like a bomb! It took about 8 strokes to get the tyre to my favourite (secret) pressure. And the visual confirmation from the integrated gauge is a treat!
You may think that attaching the valve hose is a hassle, but to be honest, I have bent and broken so many valves using pumps that attach directly to your valve that I am more than happy to take a second to attach everything. You can pump with all the vigour you need and not risk damaging your valve. One tip I can suggest it first attach the hose to the valve on your bike, then screw the pump on. This way you can’t inadvertently unscrew any of the pump parts when attaching to the valve.
I think this is a great product! And it seems that I will have it for MANY years to come!

No comments: