Monday, September 14, 2009

2010 Fox Float RLC 150mm

I have been lucky enough to be riding Fox’s new offering for about a month, and while I am still a hesitant Fox front suspension fan, I am really starting to like my new fork.
The fork works extremely well! So this is not so much a review, as some advice that I have picked up on the set-up of the fork. This is by no means my own discovery, but rather some advice that I read in the MB Action magazine. They had an expert from Fox answer a letter from a reader and he gives some advice on using the RLC forks.
It is at this point that I have to admit that I never really new what the low speed compression was for on the Fox forks. On my previous forks I used to dial in 3 clicks from full minus and then never touch it again. The advice given in the magazine; has changed my life forever.
The best way for me to explain what the compression adjuster does is to say that it is like having a shock pump with you on the trail. You can effectively increase the “pressure” in your fork.
So here is what I tried this weekend, and it worked really well. I have never run the recommended amount of sag on a Fox fork, I have always thought it made the fork feel too soft. So, for starters, I dialled the compression adjuster to full Minus (off) I then, using a shock pump dialled in 20% sag. Yes, the shock felt too soft, but by simply turning the compression adjuster you can make the shock harder.
So while riding, when things got ugly I turned the compression down and had the full advantage of the most plush travel you can imagine. And when I was climbing or on flat sections I turned it up for a pedal platform type feeling.
I hope you find this handy! I sure did!

No comments: