Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Eurobike Demo Day

The show starts tomorrow and I was at the Eurobike demo day today. The weather ruined it a bit so I only got to ride 3 bikes. Unfortunately no 29ers. Ques were too long and 29ers were by far the most popular choice.

I rode a Giant Anthem. I have to admit that I was very impressed by the bike. It feels fast!! It was very solid. It has a tapered head tube and a thru axle. Felt light. Also was running XT dyna-sys 10 speed. Now worries there.  Worked very well.
I hate to admit it, but I liked the bike!!

I then rode the Lapierre Spicy 160mm travel that rides like a 5 inch bike. The course was quite technical and very muddy but the bike cruised. Not my choice of every day bike but definitely one for Christie to consider at Megavelanche. It clmbed surprisingly well. I rode it with a standard triple and not the double and bash.

Then for the dud of the day. The top of the line new carbon Specialized epic. Brain front and back. SRAM XX double 10 speed. My first shift on the double front got the chain jammed. I had to stop to fix it and adjust the shifter. Then it was ok, but not great. The course had a serious climb and once again I was left questioning whether I can ride a double. I made it to the top but it worked my legs.
The brain is bad again. Very notchy front and back. And the tyres on the spaz nearly killed me!!!

All in all a good day. Pity about the weather. And just by the way.  When it rains here it is worse than any wet course I have ridden in sa. In places the mud on the single track was axle deep!!

Did I mention how bad XX brakes are?....

No comments: